Thursday, April 30, 2009

Run Away Chickens!!!!

During lunch yesterday, I gave Chris a call. I like to do that sometimes when I'm having a bad day, or just want to say hi.

He told me he was at the house.....

Apparently, around 7ish in the morning, he received a call from a neighbor....our chickens were in the front yard!!! Chris had unhinged part of our fence so he could get the huge tractor in the backyard. The fence was still there, just not very secure. It was a windy day...and needless to say, the fence blew down. And our chickens went wild!

Did I mention our chickens have names?

Q-Tip (the white one) Optimus Prime and Megatron (they are both black, and we can't tell them apart)










Barbara is the distinguished looking chicken and finally Cheyenne is the red one.
I don't know why, but I think Q-Tip is my favorite. She likes to get into things. When Chris was working with the tractor, Q-Tip was right there, digging in the dirt to get all of the fresh worms. I was scared Chris would run over her!

Anyway, back to the story. Well, the neighbor was kind enough to put the chickens back in the yard...Chris thought it was over...

Later, he got a call from Mr. Dai. He is our older Vietnamese neighbor. He is very kind, and has a super thick accent. He lives with his wife who speaks little English. Last Sunday, I was working in the yard and Mr. Dai yells across the street "You, Chris, lunch at 12:00" So, Chris and I went over to their house for lunch. We had Pho...homemade Pho soup. It was suburb. But I digress....

Mr. Dai called Chris and said "Your hens! Your hens are out!" (Imagine a heavy Asian accent...) Chris asked Mr. Dai if he could get them back in the yard. Mr. Dai replied, "Me??? Ok, I try." A few minutes later, Mr. Dai calls back..."Chris, your hens are safe!"

Both Chris and I have been trying to cultivate a 'community' feel in our little neighborhood. Thank goodness we have made this effort, or who would have called us about our runaway chickens??? Besides watching over each other's houses...it's been fun to get to know our neighbors. There are a lot more young people moving in...we are going to throw a block party and really get to know the neighborhood around the time school gets done. Exciting!

Anywho, Chris was at a job near our house at this point and stopped by to fix the fence so we wouldn't have anymore runaway chickens.

Chris is currently making dinner and attempting to make cheese. I will update later on that adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment