Friday, May 15, 2009

Backyard Progress!

We are slowly making progress on the backyard!!

The last few weeks, Chris and I have been hard at work. We constructed the raised beds, brought in soil to fill them up, and created our gravel walkways. Whew! Backbreaking work. It is so exciting to see our dream come together though!

Last weekend, we started building the trellis'. We plan on growing squash, zucchini and all those vegetables that sprawl out over the land. How are we going to accomplish this in our little space?? We are going vertical of course!




I am really excited about the couch in the back by the fence. My goal is to put a water feature in the middle of the four main beds (even a bird bath would be nice) and then spend my summers outside, gardening and reading on the little couch.

Our goal to start planting this weekend. Chris is currently working on the irrigation system. We are investing in a drip system which we will be able to tweak as seasons go on, depending on where we are planting the different veggies from year to year.

After the irrigation system, we need to build a fence to keep the chickens from the main garden. Then, it's planting time!!!

While Chris is working on the backyard fence and irrigation, I will be planting some flowers and such in the front yard. Last year we completely redid the front...took out the lawn, but in a sprinkler system, cut down a tree, built a porch and put in a new walkway. We still haven't landscaped it though.

Overall, I think we calculated that we would have a total of about 650 square feet of vegetable/fruit space. Hopefully our first season is successful. We want to be farmers, but no one said we were farmers yet.

5 comments:

  1. That is precisely what I'd like to do with my backyard. The problem is that we're renters and though our landlord has given permission for 'A' vegetable garden, I don't think we'll be able to modify the whole backyard.

    It looks great and the couch idea is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to see how your garden develops. That's exactly the kind of posts that keep me up and motivated for my own ten squarefoot gaden.Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome raised bed set up! Good for you. We have raised beds in the front yard and a garden in the back yard, but I'd love to do more like this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your wonderful comments. It is so nice to meet new people, even in cyber-space :) I will continue to post pictures of our garden as the season progresses. Happy Gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow guys! Impressive --- I am totally jealous but am motivated to get settled in AK so I can plant something in the GROUND! Right now I am making do with 14 large pots full of veggie starts:) Happy growing!

    ReplyDelete