Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

I love to read. It is one of my favorite pasttimes. And now that I have discovered the library...I've been reading a lot lately. So, now and again, I will be writing about recently finished books or previous books worth mentioning.

I just finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. This book was recommended to me by Chris' mom, who also loves to read.


A synaposis, taken from the Spokane Library:http://spokanelibrary.org
"In 1946, as Londen emerges from the shadow of World War II, author Juliet Ashton is having a terrible time finding inspiration for her next book. Then she receives a letter from Guernsey Island, and learns of a unique book club formed on the spur of the moment as an alibi to protect its members from arrest by the occupying Germans during the war. Captivated, she sets sails for Guernsey, and what she finds there will change her life forever."


My opinion: A lovely read. The entire story is written through letters. Letters written between the various characters. At first, it took some getting used to, and then I was pulled into Juliet's story, the German Occupation and a previous world...a world where people actually wrote letters....a world where people were eager to hear each other's stories, get to know each other, and help in any way possible. I highly recommend this book....delightful indeed.

I give it 5 stars!


Currently in the middle of: The Shack by Willliam Young and A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

No comments:

Post a Comment